Business Events Sunshine Coast (BESC) will put the spotlight on exciting new signature incentive experiences the region has to offer at the Asia-Pacific Incentives and Meetings Expo (AIME) to be held 21-22 February 2017.
The Sunshine Coast officially turns 50 this year and will celebrate the anniversary with a series of events across the region, along with the start of a number of major tourism infrastructure projects that are set to be ‘game changers’ for the region’s tourism future.
In addition to highlighting the changes in the region and unveiling new experiences, BESC will be driving their online planning toolkit and will launch their new 2017/18 Meeting Planners’ Guide. Available in both print and digital formats, the guide will feature the latest accommodation, venues, offsite venues, local event suppliers, activities and showcase the selection of Sunshine Coast signature incentive experiences.
BESC Manager, Tiffany Bower said, “Our focus at AIME this year is to highlight improved access to the region with new flight services, options for association events, unique offsite venues and importantly ‘only on the Sunshine Coast’ incentive experiences. BESC has listened to what event organisers are asking for in terms of offering unique, destination-focused group activities that can’t readily be bought of the shelf.”
BESC have secured a string of events over the past 12 months including the Australian Smart Communities Summit, Australian Macadamia Industry Conference, Australian Event Awards from 2016 to 2018, Australian Cruise Association Conference and Australian Society of Travel Writers AGM & Conference.
Bespoke food experiences
A natural food bowl, the Sunshine Coast is rapidly becoming Australia’s favourite taste destination. Whether it be a paddock-to-plate degustation, fresh-off-the-trawler seafood BBQ, chef-guided food trail or a spectacular market stall cocktail reception; the Sunshine Coast offers a bounty of foodie adventures, tasty attractions and gourmet experiences to wow delegates.
• Behind the scenes producers tour
• Noosa Hinterland paddock to plate trail
• Long lunch in the macadamia groves
• Farm shed paddock to plate long lunch
• Camels and canapes
• Free ranging chef bush food discovery
• Gourmet food and wine
Quintessentially Sunshine Coast
The Sunshine Coast is a country and coast natural utopia enjoying more than 300 days of sunshine per year. The area is brimming with surprising, enchanting and delightful activities and natural wonders that you won’t find anywhere else in the world.
• Noosa beach tipi surf village
• Self-drive Great Beach Drive adventure
• Kombi surf safari
• Noosa fresh air experience
• Golf with a pro
• Explore the Noosa Everglades by kayak
• Fraser Island discovery by private plane
• From the beach to the outback
• Aussie surf culture beach tour
• The best of the Great Beach Drive
BUSINESS EVENTS SUNSHINE COAST STAND PARTNERS
BESC will be joined by stand partners from the Sunshine Coast, selling the region as a premium incentive and conference destination. Operators include: Sofitel Noosa Pacific Resort, Kingfisher Bay Resort, Novotel Twin Waters Resort, and The Events Centre, Caloundra.
Bonjour to Sofitel Noosa Pacific Resort
The Sheraton Noosa Resort & Spa rebranded to Sofitel Noosa Pacific Resort in June 2016, introducing the French influence, style and design of Accor’s five star brand to beautiful Noosa.
The property also has a new Director of Sales and Marketing, Bobbie-Jane Skewes.
The Events Centre, Caloundra
The Events Centre in Caloundra will undergo long-term capital works to improve the experience for patrons, visiting artists and business events. Established in 1980, the centre is the region’s primary performance and conference venue. Some of the key improvements include new seating in the Main and Playhouse Theatre, an upgrade of air conditioning, improved disability access and a number of backstage upgrades to enhance the experience of visiting artists.
Kingfisher Bay Resort, Fraser Island
Kingfisher Bay Resort has undergone a décor refresh and room revamp to give their iconic, eco-friendly designed building a modern timeless feel. As of August 2016, new furniture provides a breath of fresh air through their open atrium-style centre complex lounge areas and the bar at Seabelle Restaurant. The new modern feel at Kingfisher Bay Resort extends right through to 152 hotel rooms including full repainting and installation of new beds, carpets and soft furnishings.
Novotel Twin Waters Resort
Novotel Twin Waters Resort has added to its enviable list of spaces, incentives and teambuilding activities to introduce a new jetpack experience and The Base Gym to rocket the Sunshine Coast to exciting new heights for conference delegates and guests alike. Jetpack Adventures are the world’s newest adrenalin adventure activity, shooting adventurers some 10 metres above the water surface at speeds of up to 50kms per hour.
In 2015/16, the region attracted over 27,384 delegates valued at $40.8 million*.
The popularity has spurred a wave of NEW TOURISM DEVELOPMENT PLANS, including:
• Sunshine Coast Airport is set to undergo its biggest transformation in its history. The expansion will include a new 2450-metre-long and 45-metre-wide runway, which will cater for large aircraft including the Airbus A330 and Boeing 777 and 787. The terminal will also be upgraded. The extension follows the official recognition of Sunshine Coast Airport as an ‘International Airport’ in 2016. Construction will get underway this year and is scheduled for completion by 2020;
• Two new 5-star hotel developments were announced in 2016. Starwood’s Westin brand was announced as part of a proposed new integrated development at Yaroomba Beach; while a 5-star hotel was also mooted as part of a major redevelopment project in Mooloolaba;
• A $400 million themed water park was announced by SANAD Capital on Steve Irwin Drive. The water park will feature a wave pool capable of producing waves of up to three metres in height, as well as an interactive aqua play structure capable of holding up to 2000 people at a time. Hotel and function facilities will be included. Subject to planning permissions, work on the park is scheduled to commence in 2017;
• New town plan concepts have been announced for Mooloolaba and Maroochydore, while the opening of the Sunshine Coast University Hospital this year will establish the region as one of Queensland’s leading medical and education centres, transforming the Kawana Waters area;
Business Events Sunshine Coast (BESC) is the convention bureau for the Sunshine Coast. It sits as a dedicated unit within Visit Sunshine Coast, the regional tourism organisation for the Sunshine Coast. BESC is a not-for-profit, membership based organisation.
BESC will be on AIME display stand number 1822.
*Queensland Treasury and Trade Queensland Business Events Survey [QBES 2015-16 compared to QBES 2014-15].